|Essence of Place: Rosario López, Miguel Ángel Rojas, Fernell Franco, Curated by Rodrigo Orrantia. Until 10 November 2012. This exhibition brings together three artists from different generations working in Colombia and interested in exploring the themes of identity and place through the use of photography.
Venue: Mummery + Schnelle, 83 Great Titchfield Street, London W1W 6RH. Nearest tube station: Oxford Circus. Opening hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-6pm or by appointment
In the 1970s a generation of Colombian artists sought to separate themselves from the established modern canons of art that were taught at universities and hung in museums. Figures such as Antonio Caro (b. 1950), Oscar Muñoz (b. 1951), and Miguel Ángel Rojas (b.1946) stood at the forefront of experimental visual art practices in Colombia during the 70s and 80s. Their concerns converged on the search for a notion of self through the continuous questioning of their immediate surroundings, a sense of self found through a connection with place.
Their search was practical as well as conceptual, challenging the way in which art was produced, displayed and received. The 60s witnessed the arrival of pop culture in Latin America, and by the 70s its influence was undeniable in every aspect of culture, especially in the arts. Experimental art practices using photography and printmaking were a stand against the better-regarded techniques of drawing and painting, taking direct influence from pop art, music and the drug-infused hippy revolution.
Miguel Ángel Rojas’ works from the 1970s are evidence of a voyage of self-discovery through the meticulous observation of himself and his surroundings. His practice at the time encompassed photography, drawing and printmaking, experimenting with their intersections to discover a language of his own.
Amongst his best-known works are the series of long exposure photographs taken at B-movie cinemas where anonymous encounters between men took place. They later became the basis of two key installations entitled Via Lactea (1981) and Paquita(1997). Rojas’ work with photographic reductions and installation is not only a search for personal identity and belonging, but also a poignant revision of the voyeuristic gaze. His installations bring back a lost intimacy with the photographic image and ultimately with photography itself.
One can find a number of connections between Rojas’ images and the works by Fernell Franco (1942-2006). Part of the same generation of artists, Franco lived in a different city, Cali, a smaller and much warmer place, but also more open and daring than the capital Bogotá. During the 70s Franco worked as a commercial photographer, but at the same time he explored the grimmer, undiscovered aspects of the city. His best known series are Prostitutas (1970), Demoliciones (1989) and Amarrados (1976-94).
Fernell Franco, Demoliciones, C-Print, 1989
Twenty years later one can find connections with the work by Rosario López, a representative of a generation that was either taught, or heavily influenced by the aforementioned artists. Her art practice, a consistent questioning of the nature and essence of space, evidences the inherited concerns connecting her work to Franco and Rojas. Lopez’s work gained recognition in the international art scene with her appearance at the 2007 Venice Biennale with her piece Abyss.
In 2000, more than a decade after Rojas and Franco’s gaze on the city, López produced Esquinas Gordas (Fat Corners) using photography to approach a series of space alterations in Bogotá.
Part local resourcefulness, part public policy, “fat corners” were a way of preventing homeless people from setting up shelters in the city’s central candelaria borough and using the corners of its buildings as lavatories. The cement filled spaces where later assimilated into their surroundings, painted over or even decorated. The consistence of her approach transforms the images into a dialogue with space, and how its essence is defined by spontaneous interventions.
Rosario López, Esquinas Gordas (Fat Corners), C-Print on paper, 2000
Photography is a common ground where the different generations can establish a dialogue of peers. As photographic images, these works share an exploratory nature; they are the record of a time and space but also of a spirit, a mutual affection betweenser (to be) and estar (to be in).
For further information, please contact Rodrigo Orrantia at:firstname.lastname@example.org
UK LATIN MUSIC
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- London Latino Events Newsletter * Entertainment, Culture & Society
- London Latino Events Newsletter * Entertainment, Culture & Society : 22 - 28 April
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 286 * Entertainment, Culture & Society : 14th - 20th January / 2013
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 285 * Entertainment, Culture & Society : 7th - 13th January / 2013
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 284 * Entertainment, Culture & Society : Dec.31st – 6th Jan./ 13
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 283 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. : 24th - 30th Dec.
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 282 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. : 17th - 23rd Dec.
- 5 DEC | Latin and Anglo-American Rock Night
- 7 DEC. | Cuban Night with Jesus Cutino & Son de Cuba
- CONCERT | 30 NOV.: Peruvian Groove Night with Barrio Nuevo
- How to serve a beer! Latin explanation fb.me/IO1c1fHI 10 minutes ago
- fb.me/2BFPla6K3 24 minutes ago
- fb.me/ExjjfZg6 26 minutes ago
- fb.me/5dLNp2Kjc 44 minutes ago
- Latinos @ Grenwich Market 🙄 2 hours ago
- RIP Augusto Polo Campos one of the most important peruvian composers fb.me/2hhNf72lC 3 hours ago
- Ayala Bros ft. Trio Combo Latino live at Rich Mix in London, England BLACK ORPHEUS fb.me/1x7aOvUyO 4 hours ago
- La paisana jacinta y el racismo en el Peru. 19/Enero 6-10pm SE17 3QU Movimiento Jaguar Despierto - MJD va a ser... fb.me/JdDIyHmk 6 hours ago
- Multinational Companies are looking to hire Catalan Speakers! in Greece | London, UK and Europe | Top Language Jobs fb.me/5Sm7utCce 8 hours ago
- La casa de Bernarda Alba 12-28 Feb fb.me/45EtkbdTW 1 day ago
- London Latino Events Newsletter * Entertainment, Culture & Society
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 286 * Entertainment, Culture & Society : 14th – 20th January / 2013
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 285 * Entertainment, Culture & Society : 7th – 13th January / 2013
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 284 * Entertainment, Culture & Society : Dec. 31st/ 2012 – 06 th Jan./ 2013
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 283 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. : 24th – 30th Dec.
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 282 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. : 17th – 23rd Dec.
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 281 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. : 10th – 16th Dec.
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 280 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. : 3 – 9 Dec.
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 279 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. : Nov. 26th – Dec.02
- CONCERT | 30 NOV : Peruvian Groove Night with Barrio Nuevo @ Aracataca
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 278 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. – November 19th – 25th
- 23 NOV. | Cuban Night with Jesus Cutino & Son de Cuba + Salsa lessons
- LA ROCKOLA [Rock en Español + Crossover] : 17 NOV. @ Aracataca
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 277 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. – November 12th – 18th
- ART | MAASAI By Alejandro Gortazar @ 13 The Gallery : 13th Nov – 6 Dec
- SPORT | WATCH COLOMBIA V BRAZIL [HD] : 14 NOV
- LOCAL AFFORDABLE ART FAIR @ 13 The Gallery : 10th – 11th November
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 276 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. – November 5th – 11th
- OPERA | CARMEN : 21 Nov – 09 Dec 12 @E_N_O
- DIA DE LOS MUERTOS | MEXICAN DAY OF THE DEAD : 4 NOV. @ Hackney City Farm
- FILM | QUE VIVA MEXICO! : 7 Nov. London
- ART | The Continuation of Romance: Painting – An Interrupted Discourse : 28. Sep – 8. Jan 13
- BALLET | SWAN LAKE : 6 – 24 Nov. 2012 @RoyalOperaHouse
- ART | Ecce Homo [Behold The Man]: 3 – 9 Nov. London
- BALLET | VISCERA : 3 – 14 Nov 2012 @RoyalOperaHouse
- THEATRE | LIFE! Led by Argentinean choreographer Maria Clara Irisarri : 5 – 6 Nov. @ThePlaceLondon @NeoBallet
- THEATRE | THAT STRANGE KIND OF PASSION a play by Susana Torres Molina : Nov. 15th – Dec. 9th @CalderBookshop1
- THEATRE | Damned by Despair by Tirso de Molina : Until 17 December @NationalTheatre
- FILM | Victoire de la vie & L’Espagne Vivra : 29 Nov. 2012 @SomersetHouse
- 22nd LONDON LATIN AMERICAN FILM FESTIVAL : 16th – 25th November 2012 @llaffestival
- LATINOS JAMM SESSIONS | SUNDAY 4 NOV. | Day of the Dead Fest @TheFinPub
- LATINOS IN LONDON ROCK FESTIVAL : 10 NOV. @TheFinPub
- BOOK LAUNCH . The Best of Young Brazilian Novelists, 12 Nov
- London Latino Events Newsletter Issue 275 * Entertainment, Culture & Society. October 29th – November 4th
- SALSA CLASSES + SALSA NIGHT! @ Aracataca – Every Friday
- Gabriel Iglesias UK Stand-Up Comedy Tour . 2 – 3 Nov
- 16 NOV. | LOKANDES Live! + London Latin American Film Festival screening @RichMixLondon @Movimientos @llaffestival
- APPLY | Colombian Christmas Choir in the United Kingdom : 8 December, London
- ARRIBA LA CUMBIA! : 9 NOV. | Pollito Boogaloo + @Lokandes + Dj Russ Jones + Dj Cal Jader + Pisco Disco and more.. @PassingClouds
SCAN OUR QR-CODE